Welcome to Wey Valley Solar Schools
The Wey Valley Solar Schools Co-operative (Wey Valley Solar for short) is a community owned energy co-operative set up by local people from the towns of Guildford and Godalming in Surrey. In 2011 we started with 238 kW of solar panels on the roofs of six state secondary schools in Surrey. We now have generation capacity of just over 600kW over eleven sites (ten schools and one church).
Our Co-operative provides each of our schools and community organisations with:
- renewable energy discounted to the school at a fixed price for the duration of the contract helping schools manage and reduce their energy costs
- a share of any surplus generated by the co-op – none of the co-op’s directors are paid
- a tangible strategy for reducing its CO2 emissions and meeting its Net Zero plans
- monitors for each school showing the renewable energy their panels are generating – engaging pupils and teachers alike
- a supportive partner which understands the particular demands on schools and with the flexibility to adjust to changing estate plans
- full remote monitoring of panel output to identify any problems or faults with installations
- maintenance and operational support from the Co-operative's experienced contractors
- panels given to the schools at no cost at the end of the contract
For our investor members, we provide a competitive interest rate and the knowledge that they are investing in clean energy generation, and they are helping schools reduce their costs and tackle climate change plans.
If you would like to discuss if your school or community organisation might benefit from our approach then please get in touch or if you are interested in investing in the next share issue then read more here.